Tuesday started.

 Yes...one of those 3 am starts again.  Long ago I got over wondering why.  It just is.  So I used the time to entertain myself with wordle and books  The morning's work chore finished what was started yesterday.  Deadheading Siberian Iris.  Splitting into two days of work is a good idea when there a million dead heads.  I checked the Bluebell bed and and they were beginning to melt.  Tt was time to get the green part of the plant in the trash can.  I would mark today's word as change.  Weeks ago I bought a big flat of short, bushy zinnias to line the paths in the garden.  The bluebells were filling the space for some of the zinnias.  I planted them in other places waiting for the time when they could be moved.  That happened this morning with more space available for taller zinnias when they are big enough to transplant.  I love, love, love this time of the year.  It's planning and doing and doing and planning all over again.  

                                                            A good sunny spot for zinnias. 

We moved to this house in 1975.  There were five trees and one bush.  I chose to plant two more bushes that I grew up with that being a Mock Quince and a Weigela.  Doug chose a Fringe Tree and a Smoketree. Three of them still exist.  The more fragile Fringe Tree is gone. The Smoketree is getting a bit of a lift with the focus on dead branch removal but new growth continues to be seen every spring.  The tree is a beautiful burgundy color and the flowers are light and airy.  The Weigela bush is in wonderful condition thanks again to Doug's care.  Son Jared has carried on the family tradition with his own Weigela bush.  

Three original trees have died. We have added more trees, one a seedling started by Doug's father and another tree coming from the Oehler woods.  More were planted via Carmel's help to create a city of trees.  


                                                                Weigelia...a Hummingbord favorite.  

The afternoon included a snip here, a weed spray there, a flower moved here and a weed pulled there.  Watering occurred where needed.  My patio chair was filled at some points with time to just sit and enjoy the view. 

A huge garden salad of many kinds of leaf lettuce was a perfect way to end the day.  Chives were added but the radishes were not quite ready.  
                I love my salad spinner.  It stays in the refrigerator filled with lettuce ready for a lot of                                                         evening meals on the patio.  Meal preporation is easy.  

                    My favorite gardener in crime.  New growth at the base of the tree.  After 45 years                                            it just doesn't want to stop.  Good tree...thanks a bunch.  

I would say that the big whoop for the day was seeing the first Monarch in the garden.  May is the earliest I have ever seen butterflies.  Last year it was almost Aug when the first one arrived.  A week ago it was the first yellow Swallowtail butterfly. There is dill for the Swallowtails and milkweed for the Monarch with my hope that both plants will become nurseries for butterfly caterpillars.  They also can find Rue, Fennel, and Parsley close by.  All hosts for their eggs.  

My goodness.  Monday the Ferruginsus Hawk. Tuesday the  Monarch butterfly. What will Wednesday bring?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wed. I'm back Thanks be to God!

Wednesday

Thursday