COLD Friday with bird news.

 The wind makes today's temperature brutal.  What is going on?  I think someone left the door on the north side open.  

This morning I just wanted to stay where it was warm.  That was inside wrapped in a blanket.  I skipped the blanket part and the indoors were fabulous.  Watched some TV and then went off to Aldi's for a big buy.  A guy was buying Irish butter.  Why?  "Because it has such a good flavor and a spoonful in coffee makes the coffee so smooth."  Really?  Well because it was St. Pat's Day I bought some.  Needed a joke and tonight we'll see how the joke goes.  I'm always ready for a diversion.  A huge pot of Chili happened in the afternoon.  I wonder if it needs Irish butter.  If you are curious about the price a 1/2 lb of Irish costs the same as an lb of regular butter at Aldi's price, still under 4.00 dollars.  


After lunch, we went to Wildbirds again.  I love that place.  We had a round robin with iPhone pictures of Bluebirds. Maybe it was a round bluebird exercise.  Bluebirds got more mealworms, and the Finch got some niger/sunflower mix.  Another big bag of black sunflower seeds will take care of the Nuthatches, Sparrows, Cardinals, and Tufted Titmouse.  The Woodpecker's suet is in plentiful supply so all is well with the world again if one can forget about the Starlings.  I tried another eversion technique to protect the mealworms from them and it seems to be working.  The bluebirds were a bit confused with the new approach to the mealworms but they stretched their little necks up high to find the mealworms and that's all it took to discover their favorite meal.  They were so cute!

        The Starling seems to be too big to fly into the small space between the mealworms and the dome. 



 Last year I bought the wrong size of protective rings that go around the hole of the bluebird house.  And of course, they were always looking in the hole but there was no way they could move in.   Today I got the 1 1/2 opening ring and will be replacing what is now on the box.  Now I need to think about those cowbirds that lay their eggs in bluebird boxes.  Sparrows also treat bluebirds horribly as well.  Protecting bluebirds is a challenge. 

                    

                I'm making an effort to keep these two bags fresh.  So the bird food is in the refrigerator.  Niger seed has about a three-week shelf life I heard today.  The niger bag also has chopped-up sunflower seeds mixed in.  Finch are finicky eaters I also heard today.  I love to hear their little peeping song. I'll try anything. 

I looked again at the bluebird mealworm feeder I was going to buy at Wild Birds but the $74.00 price tag said a big, not today, or maybe never! It might be cheaper just to feed the Starlings!  They could never get a mealworm from that 74.00 version though.  Today's adjustment might allow me to eliminate the need.  Fingers crossed. 

The Pileated Woodpecker stopped by but his visit was a short one.  I'm hoping for a picture next time he decided to visit.  I always think the same committee that put the camel together also did the Pileated Woodpecker.  Perhaps it was two for the price of one.  


While Mrs. Downy was on the feeder there was a big flash of black and white and three more Downies flew by.  Welcome.  


Basketball, both women's and men's continues.  We said goodbye to Arizona and the Purdue Women. Tonight the No 1 Purdue men play! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wed. I'm back Thanks be to God!

Wednesday

Thursday