Friday

 The day started with wondering if it would rain or what we had was just a teaser.  It did rain during the night but it wasn't a down pour.  So I waited for a while checking the weather map to see where the rain was.  

                            A collection of shade loving plants in a once neglected area of the garden. 

I decided to go for it and if it did rain, I'd just get wet.  I tackled the tomatoes with a big hole filled with compost and then a slow-release fertilizer and then water.  They were planted and the area sprinkled with Preen to keep down the weeds.  I waited till late afternoon to spread a little mulch and then anchored the cages to the ground.  The three amigos are ready to get settled into the 2024 growing season.  Early girl has some blooms already.  

  Such pretty colors.  The heavy stone is there to discourage the deer from scaling the tall wire structures                                                 with the hope all stays upright. Deer love the flowers.  

Then I moved on to the cucumbers.  I needed to make a little more room for them so by clipping the ornamental sage I found space.  The sage, a gift from the church plant swap is ready to bloom and will be beautiful.  The cucumbers are small and there are seven of them.  That will be plenty with extras to share.  

     I have one rickety circle of wire to use in the garden made by my dad in 1968.  I just need to keep it. 

After that it was sweet pepper time.  The ground needed to be cleared of some invasives and that took some time.  Now seven peppers are in the ground leaving enough room for some basil seed planting real soon.  I usually transplant basil when it is large enough but I'm not sure if there will be any room for that but where the seeds will grow.

 

2 Big Berthas, 3 California Wonders, an orange pepper and a yellow pepper all of the sweet variety.

The radishes look great.  I can see the red beets and the parsley is growing their second leaves which really says that what one sees is parsley. The okra is emerging slowly, and the dill is not far behind.  I think another 2  hours and I can move on to thinking just about butterflies and then all the annual flowers from seeds not planted will be a must do job.  The watering season has begun although when everyone has a good start they can take a lot of drought days.

I figured out how to punch holes in this Goodwill container and three flower plants filled the space nicely.  Years ago I had another similar container that was filled with these same flowers but yellow.  So the new container with new colors will work for the summer of 24. 


Still to plant...three herbs curry, fennel and rosemary. . Some of these in pots and some in the herb garden.  Easy, easy but not today.  The energy bucket is empty. 


Tired?  Yes but so fortunate to know why.  Many folks are just tired.  My reason is a good one that will bring good food to the table and the extra will be given away to those who do not or cannot garden.  No rain showers today but there certainly were showers of blessings.  Fresh air, bird concerts, great exercise, a visit with a neighbor with similar interests and a day ending with a visit from our oldest son.  Blessings abound. 

Comments

  1. I am glad you know when you are tired and how to handle your energy. Slow and easy wins the race! And it certainly is true that you are planting for good eating!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wed. I'm back Thanks be to God!

Wednesday

Thursday