Tuesday

 And yes...so happy to wake up with a goal in mind along with a few other rinky dinky things to fill in the day. .  

                        This just happened at my back door.  What a pretty welcoming combination.

So after breakfast I moved outside to check on the dahlia's.  My mind was fighting with two ways to plant them and the solution was to choose one.  So I did. Sometimes one can spend way to much time making something unnecessarily hard that could have been easy.  I started digging holes.  I needed four big ones which was enough for me.  How many holes for Kathy?  Not sure but  I knew it was many, many more than four. Each hole got a lid full of fertilizer that should hold them through the summer.  I was going to add compost but the dirt they were planted in was impressive and the healthy roots showed great care was given to get these beauties moving.  

The picture you saw yesterday of a flower bed yet to come ended up looking like this at the end of today.  There are 4 dahlias around the sea oats grass with snapdragons to the right and left of the grass and more snapdragons at either end of the bed. Surrounding all of this at different places is lambs' ear, Becky Daisys and cone flowers along with some succulents. More Georgia pine needles cover the area with more to come later after some seedlings emerge and grow through the needles. There is more but that's enough to tell you about for now.

I wanted to add snapdragons and after Doug reappeared after his hair cut and lunch was eaten we headed on up north to a temporary garden center tent.  Fingers crossed and we found them.  Many trays of short ones but the three footers were what I wanted.  Since the garden has been in progress for so long I brought 4 packs of 4 home with the hope I could find spaces for them.  Some are planted and some will go in the ground tomorrow.  Rome wasn't built in a day and neither has the garden.  Five plants are left for planting tomorrow.  So long blue bells.  I'll see you next spring, Lord willing and the creeks don't rise.

The cucumbers got their first real leaves.  The bugs are loving them, so the dust came out for the cucumbers and all the zinnias. I don't like to see holes in leaves. A couple of zinnias have taken a big hit.
This red dinner plate size hibiscus has finally decided to grow.  There is one more white and pink dinner plate size even slower.  The garden hibiscus have had growing shoots for some time. Even the volunteers are faster than the dinner plate plants. 


I dodged rainstorms today but happy to have a bit of help with watering.  Short showers are the best with two today and another one tonight.  That one came with a tornado warnings but we hung in coming through in great shape. I finished emptying a lot of seed envelopes today. That's a sign that tells me planting is coming to an end.  Then it's all grow, grow, grow. 

                                                The dianthus just get better and better.  

Tomorrow I hope to have a little skirmish with the blue bells.  I discovered that it would be best to completely melt away by themselves like jonquils and tulips but I'm going to push it a bit in order to get the snapdragon feed in the ground.  Sometimes that just can't wait. 


I'll leave room for a few more zinnias, some of which have popped right out of the potting soil jug 3 days after they were planted.  So I want to be ready when they are ready for their move to the garden. (There's a place for you...somewhere a place for you ! SOMEWHERE ) I'm planning ahead.  

The camera lens picture is taken from the top of the jug through the small opening.  Things are happening.  These seeds must be fresh.  I think I'll see 12 plants soon.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wed. I'm back Thanks be to God!

Wednesday

Thursday