Saturday

 I'm trying to think how I can make this entry different than what you have read in the past.  Humm.  Can't think how I might fix that.  My days are pretty much the same in the summer.  Let's see if you agree.  One thing you might be questioning is how can she be in the garden so long EVERY day?

                        This little gem has decided to grow.  It took a lot of thinking, it would seem.

One answer I can give is that the garden is big and the plantings are huge and I made it that way because I love it that way.  Just a couple of years ago the thought came to mind about making another bed in the "empty" part of the backyard.  I quickly thought...bad idea.  Lets just do better in the current beds.

       It doesn't look like much but I think it's exciting news.  We're adding red cannas to the garden soon.

So what was the job this morning?  My littlest zinnias needed a trimming.  If the old sun faded flowers are not removed, the new colorful ones are slower to appear.  Along with the new flowers come new growth on the plant.  Some places were a bit overgrown.  I pulled a few out and trimmed back more.  The fever few took a hit that will let light into the center of the plant encouraging new growth.  And once again it will grow to be a neater plant.  The artemisia was flopping around and the decision to tie up where possible was made.  I forgot to complete that job.  Two tomatoes received tasty little nibbles and those remaining need a little protection from the next nibble.  I forgot to do that.  The day lilies are looking a bit frazzled after blooming.  If they are trimmed they will regrow and look freshened.  I didn't do that.  Now there are the next three things on the new list to do.  The big blues got a good contribution with todays work.  

                            Next up in the Dahlia patch will be white dahlias.  Yes...I'm bare footed. 

Finally the Dahlias got watered with a high middle number fertilizer that will encourage blooms.  That's been on the list for a while but neglected until this morning.  The rain that poured last evening was a tremendous help to the whole garden.  

I call this season of gardening the staking, clover pulling, deadheading and watering season.  There is always a gardening season.  Maybe I should add cool showers for the hot sweaty, dirty gardener to the season.

    We'll add peppers and cucumbers and tomatoes to the salad Monday.  The cook has the weekend off. 

After 90 minutes of taking care of a few things outside, there was a clean up for me.  I grabbed a yogurt and found my chair.  I texted the Michigan kids knowing they were on their way north for their two week camping trip.  Well, WRONG.  They leave tomorrow or maybe I should say around 3 or 4 AM Sunday morning.  They love the north just as much as we do so why not start early so arrival time guarantees with hope their camp site will be empty of the weekender campers.  That get out of town time for the old campers means set up time for the Russell's could be 2 PM Sunday afternoon.  There is a lot to do around Copper Harbor and every minute must be filled more than full. 

        It won't be long before Basil Pesto is in the refrigerator.  I might try Parsley Pesto this year.                                 The Basil is taking off big time.  Planting Basil seeds provides a lot of plants.                                                                         The egg plant is doing a photo bomb.


The rest of the day was pretty quiet.  The soccer game noting third and fourth place teams was played. I'm posting the blog before it's finished.  Tomorrow is the last FiFa game.   We had a smaller rain shower in the afternoon. When the heat is with us it's telling me to slow down. I do that. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday

Monday

Monday