Wednesday.

 Now I need to think...what happened this morning.  There is so much going on each day that is different although I must admit...Crossword and Wordle, that's not different.  They happened. 



 

This morning I decided that it was time for the lettuce to go.  It still was pretty sweet but it was getting hard to clean.  Or I should say it took longer to clean out the uck stuff.  So it now is in the garbage can. There will be another fall lettuce planting. Also while I was digging up, on the stove a kettle was boiling full of red beets.  They were about the right size to eat and I was thinking Harvard Beets.  Yum, yum.  


                                Once again part of the garden with the red smoke tree in bloom.                                          But the bad smoke is in the lighter area.  That part of the picture should be sharp and defined.                                                                                    It's not. 

After the lettuce bed was gone I found that the beets were ready for the next thing.  Skinning off the peeling.  I always thought that was fun to do.  I would say easy for sure. Boiling loosens the skin and the peel just slides off.  They were cooled, then diced and the cornstarch vinegar sugar water dressing was boiled and poured over the bowl of beets.  It smelled like home and tasted even better than I remembered.  We had some for supper and there is enough for another meal.  

                                More beets in the garden. Another one of those German recipes.                                                               My sister is getting a taste tomorrow. Beets were a part of our diet. 

    No new butterfly news.  Just keeping enough food on the table for the two Monarch caterpillars. 

The afternoon was pretty quiet.  I think I shot my wad of energy in the morning.  We watched the birds and caterpillars.  I fell asleep on the patio.  Once again the air was really smoky with the hope that tomorrow there might be a wind taking it all away.  


Supper was another great salad with the last of the lettuce and of course red beets.  We texted Jared, plaid 3/13 and I won again.  I may need to hire a tutor for Doug.  He just gets bum cards or so he says.  I planted three cleome plants where the lettuce was and chopped down one of the common milkweed that was in the wrong place covering up a snapdragon plant.. I've got to keep the garden interesting with new things to watch.  


Comments

  1. O Canada! Our air quality is getting worse, too, although no haze yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wed. I'm back Thanks be to God!

Wednesday

Thursday